Archived Post

From listmasteranimalgenome.org  Mon Mar  4 18:08:49 2019
From: Frank Nicholas <frank.nicholassydney.edu.au>
Postmaster: submission approved by list moderator
To: OMIA-Supporters <omia-supportanimalgenome.org>
Subject: A popup fundraiser for OMIA
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2019 18:08:49 -0600

Dear OMIA supporters,

A couple of recent failures of OMIA to reboot after server maintenance,
combined with the continual need for enhancements to the OMIA
database/website, have reinforced in my mind the need for a part-time
software engineer who is familiar with OMIA and who can be called upon to
resolve emergencies and to provide enhancements.

Also, although I am still very healthy, as someone now into his 8th decade
I am increasingly aware of the need to plan for OMIA's continuation after I
am no longer able to contribute.

In this context, I have been encouraged to see that OMIM (on which OMIA is
modelled) has, since 2016, been appealing for donations via a popup, just
like you see in Wikipedia from time to time. If you go to OMIM's Donate
tab, you can see that they have received hundreds of donations each year.

I am planning to create a donation popup for OMIA, programmed (as OMIM's
is) to appear only once every few weeks for each person accessing the site.
Each donation will be acknowledged with a formal receipt from the
University of Sydney.

In the foreseeable future, all of the donated funds will be devoted to
retaining a part-time software engineer to respond to emergencies and to
provide enhancements. In the longer term, some of the funds may be
allocated to retaining a part-time head curator, when I am no longer able
to fulfil that role.

I have no idea of the extent to which this will be successful, but it seems
to me that there is nothing to lose by trying.

I would greatly appreciate your feedback on this plan.

To respond to this mail-list, please send your response to:
omia-supportanimalgenome.org

Regards
Frank

For an up-to-date list of animal traits/disorders characterised at the DNA
level, and for tables of likely causal variants,

visit Online Mendelian Inheritance in Animals (OMIA): https://omia.org

To join the OMIA Support Group, register at
http://www.animalgenome.org/...munity/omia-support/

OMIA celebrated its 20th birthday on 26 May 2015!

© 2003-2024: USA · USDA · NRPSP8 · Program for Applied Bioinformatics.
Contact: Bioinformatics Team
Helpdesk